Google Analytics Premium implementation

September 2013; TechSmith had been using the free version of Google Analytics for years, one of my inaugural projects on the Paid Marketing team was to research and recommend a more robust web tracking solution.  An upgrade to Google Analytics Premium was identified as the best option TechSmith due to the high degree of familiarity, relatively low cost and low resource investment.

My principle responsibility was maintaining the relationship with our newly appointed Google representatives.  In conjunction with our representatives I established a six-month timeline with milestones and coordinated all development work.  Additionally, I conducted intense research the anticipated discrepancies between Free and Premium platforms and monitored and measured the data as it flowed in.  

The Google Analytics Premium implementation spanned nearly an entire year and was followed up by an upgrade to Google's Universal Analytics which I also headed.

Issue encountered: During implementation process, the Classic property incurred sharp increase in visitor and session metrics.

Problem Identification: Analysis of traffic metrics suggested visitor cookies had been broken which resulted in single visits reported as multiple visits.

Resolution process: I identified culprits which caused similar data patterns in the past: 1) Video player registering virtual pageviews 2) On-page code interfering with cookie set 3)  on-page code firing twice.  I delegated investigation to two separate teams plus myself, one team returned the conclusion that the new Universal code was interfering with the Classic code.  I worked with our Google support team to adjust configuration so both analytic instances were able to run simultaneously.

Ecommerce storefront migration

July 2012; For many years TechSmith relied on a home-grown ecommerce store front which lived on a sub-domain of techsmith.com.  It had become apparent that the platform was not user friendly and was too costly to maintain internally.  TechSmith chose an ecommerce vendor to host the store and I was delegated SEO oversight.

After completing a full SEO audit of the existing store front I coordinated with technical representatives of the ecommerce vendor to plan the site structure and content migration.

Issues encountered: Because of an antiquated system with dynamic URL structure many industry standard SEO best-practice techniques were untenable. 

Problem Identification: I spent two weeks comparing the SEO audit to the new store front (in development environment) and noted all issues negatively affecting SEO including (but not limited to):
  • single URL to access each page
  • non-case sensitive URLs
  • permanent URL structure written into source-code
  • automatic redirects for removed URLs
Resolution process: Identified 13 major warnings, organized warnings in three prioritized tiers in order to justify resources and requested initiatives to resolve each tier in order.  Top tier included:
  • canonical URL tags placed in source code of each page which were manually
  • removal of all hard coded URLs pointing at migrated or non-canonical URLs
  • sitemap creation in Excel using string and concatenation formulas
  • URL redirect mapping - mix of indexing list of product ID to product name and manually mapping exceptions

Marketing budget tracking systems (Department wide and Paid Team)

August  2011: When I entered TechSmith's marketing department no record of budget or total spend existed.  I was tasked with developing a system that would allow us to not only track spend and budget, but that could aggregate data and handle quick and frequent updates.


Paid Campaign Solution: I developed a series of Excel documents where data could be entered by campaign on a monthly basis and all aggregation was handled by COUNTIF formulas.  Each campaign was followed by a number of drop-down options which standardized data for aggregation purposes.  You can view one of these documents (MarketingCampaigns.xlsx) here with the numbers changed to protect sensitive data:

View     Download


Marketing Department Solution: I developed an Excel workbook that links to private account documents that are updated by each marketing specialist.  The spend is then aggregated by each marketing team and again aggregated into an entire marketing budget with formatting to call out months coming in over budget.  That document can be viewed here with the numbers changed to protect sensitive data:

View     Download



Marketing KPI automated dashboard


SEO competitive analysis


Landing page audit